[AstroPy] Astropy for imaging

Philip Koreski Philip.Koreski at pcli.com
Thu May 14 15:49:49 EDT 2015

   I'm writing an app for astrophotography. I need it to do image stacking and I'm looking for an algorithm that can not only blend the images but align each image so all stars are over each other. I'm also wandering about the 'fits' format, is there a way around it? My images need to be jpg's in and jpg's out so I'm wanting just to convert the image to a numpy array, process then convert back to jpg and save. I'm not sure if the overhead of converting to 'fits' is worthwhile. Also I was wanting to know if there is good way to run these algorithms on the GPU.
  Sorry for asking so many questions but I would appreciate any help that can be offered in this.

Thank you!