[AstroPy] Astropy and large VOTable files

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Mon May 18 14:00:59 EDT 2015

Thanks for the question.

Unfortunately, it will read the entire file into memory each time. It
does read it in as a Numpy array, so the memory used should generally be
less than the space on disk, however, depending on the content.

XML doesn't really support the kind of slicing that FITS (or another
binary format) can, because you can't know how big something is (or even
what it is!) without parsing the whole file.  That said, given the
constraint of the file format, minimal memory usage is one of the main
design features of astropy.io.votable, so I'd recommend trying it on
large files and seeing how it goes.  It shouldn't ever take
significantly more memory than a binary array of data, i.e. the same as
the equivalent FITS file loaded entirely into memory.

Cheers,
Mike