[AstroPy] astropy.io.fits

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Mon Nov 30 09:00:33 EST 2015

On 11/26/2015 04:28 PM, Paul Kuin wrote:
> I was reading in a fits binary table.
>
> Some fields have defined TNULL??=-2147483648, while TFORM?? = 'J       '
>
> If I display the variable, it shows -2147483648, while it should be set to Nan,
> or blank, I think.
>
> Is that a bug or a feature?

Looks to be a bug, more or less.  I only recently implemented working(?) support
for the BLANK keyword in image arrays [1].  Proper support for TNULL would
involve applying the same work to table columns, which should be
straightforward.  I think just nobody's ever asked.

Erik

[1] https://github.com/astropy/astropy/pull/3865