[AstroPy] Python powered GUI for secondary school education image processing and possible porting to Tablets and Smart Phones

Carl Pennypacker crpennypacker at lbl.gov
Fri Oct 2 18:43:58 EDT 2015

Dear Astropy Community,

I seek your help on the following: I am interested in a Python based
GUI with powerful underlying astronomy/.fts image handling
and analysis features. Over the past decades, our
Hands-On Universe program (see http://handsonuniverse.org/) has evolved
through several such systems,
including initially a C++ version, an IDL based system, and finally to a
system
based on NIH image (Image J now), called Salsa J (available from
euhou.net).  We seek
features   such as aperture photometry, image
subtraction, image division/multiplication, flat fielding, adjusting
contrast in the display., surface plot, plotting of profiles (graph)
across a
user-marked line, etc.  All these features work from pull down menus
while one's image is displayed. It is a huge amount of fun,
and students learn a lot.   This Salsa J resembles DS-9, which is good, but
we like Salsa J better (I apologize to folks at SAO).

Do you all know of anyone who has developed a nice GUI sitting on top of
AstroPy features, like I describe above with such features as are in our
current Salsa J
system?  This seems like a very logical evolution of our software.

Finally, has anyone tried to compile such a python GUI or other
python routines onto Androids or Apple
tablets?  One the web, I see a number of systems that claim they
can take Python code and make it work on smart phones, without
having to learn Android or Iphone language..

If we had such a image processing system for tablets, we could reach
many more
teachers with our educational system and community.

        Many Thanks,

       Carl Pennypacker
      UC Berkeley