[AstroPy] Python powered GUI for secondary school education image processing and possible porting to Tablets and Smart Phones

Fred Moolekamp fred3public at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 14:09:47 EDT 2015

Hi Carl,
In the long run Toyz and Astro Toyz are designed to do exactly what you are
requesting. Currently you are only able to view and blink images (along
with surface plots and adjustment of the bias and contrast) and create
interactive plots from a variety of data sources but as long as I find a
post doc or teaching position I plan to continue to work on Toyz this
summer and next year so that it will become a GUI for astropy. Some of the
things planned for the immediate future include the ability to detect
sources (using SEP or photutils), perform aperture and PSF photometry (I
have updates to photutils to fit groups of stars but haven't pushed my
changes yet), display the catalogs on the images, perform coordinate
transformations, match source catalogs to catalogs in Vizier and get an
astrometric solution (using astroquery and astrometry.net). Further in the
future I also plan to include a separate webpage that can be used to modify
the data contained in a separate session, which runs in a browser much like
iPython but with an interface more like Spyder or R Studio. A lot of the
above upgrades exist in

To install Toyz and Astro Toyz just run

pip install astrotoyz[all]

This will install Toyz, Astro Toyz, and all of their dependent packages not
currently installed on your system (I think it's just numpy, scipy,
astropy, pandas, pillow, tornado, passlib, matplotlib, and sqlalchemy, many
of which you probably have installed already). I highly recommend doing
this from a virtualenv as some people have experienced conflicts with other
modules on their systems.

In addition to the document links proved by Matt you can also check out a
demo <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY-11VcqHGs> and a few tutorials
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNzyj3J441TGvlWm1_NGx-APgPSaZn0hp>
to help you get started. In the future I plan to improve these tutorials
and make more to help walk users through many of Toyz's features.

Best,
-Fred