[AstroPy] fits coordinate system keyword

Paul Kuin npkuin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 15:59:38 EDT 2015

I think we had at the time that discussion and asked for feedback on the
keywords, When that period ended, I think it was set in stone.

So, I don't agree that it is arguable.

Paul

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Perry Greenfield <stsci.perry at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That’s somewhat arguable. Say in 1990 I had a header with
>
> PC1_1 = “BOZO”
>
> That would have been legal. After the WCS standard was accepted, it would
> have been illegal.
>
> Perry
>
> On Oct 5, 2015, at 3:20 PM, Paul Kuin <npkuin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually, one of the basic tenets of FITS is to be completely backward
> compatible, so any keyword that was valid in the past is valid now. So that
> warning is also inaccurate. If it was standard, it still is, and ever will
> be.
> >

> > On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Erik Bray <embray at stsci.edu> wrote:
> > On 10/05/2015 12:17 PM, Paul Kuin wrote:
> >

> > I am getting very annoyed of the warning that keeps popping up
> >
> > WARNING: FITSFixedWarning: RADECSYS= 'FK5' / default
> > RADECSYS is non-standard, use RADESYSa. [astropy.wcs.wcs]
> >
> > I'm not sure when the FITS standard changed, but MOST legacy fits files
> (I use)
> > will have the RADECSYS keyword. It works, and I do not see why someone
> felt the
> > need to keep this warning being popped up all the time.
> >
> > Probably as a warning to remind authors of new files that they shouldn't
> be using that keyword.  I don't know that it necessarily needs to be
> displayed every time reading in a WCS except maybe to head off cases of
> ambiguity.  But I don't know this particular issue well enough to be sure
> if the warning is appropriate in all cases or not.
> >
> > I think that by default it should be off.
> >
> > Since you all probably think it should be there, I would like to know
> how to
> > turn it off ?  any suggestion on how to do that?
> >
> > http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/warnings.html
> >

> > Erik

> > --

* * * * * * * * http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~npmk/ * * * *
Dr. N.P.M. Kuin      (n.kuin at ucl.ac.uk)
phone +44-(0)1483 (prefix) -204927 (work)
mobile +44(0)7806985366  skype ID: npkuin
Mullard Space Science Laboratory  – University College London  –
Holmbury St Mary – Dorking – Surrey RH5 6NT–  U.K.