[AstroPy] fits coordinate system keyword

Paul Kuin npkuin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 11:20:24 EDT 2015

Hi Tom,

Correct. I did first read then pass the header to WCS.

The way I interpret the parameter fix-False description, it seems like the
WCS header with the warning is that it will fail ? I'll give it a try
later.

Thanks, Paul

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Thomas Robitaille <
thomas.robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> As far as I'm aware, the error shouldn't be happening when you open
> the file, but when you pass the header to the WCS class from
> astropy.wcs. I think you can get rid of the warnings by simply doing
>
> wcs = WCS(header, fix=False)
>
> See
> http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/api/astropy.wcs.WCS.html#astropy.wcs.WCS
>
> Cheers,
> Tom
>
> On 6 October 2015 at 09:15, Paul Kuin <npkuin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It seems that WCS RADECSYS was not dropped then; it just ended up in the
> > standard in a different way. Probably to preserve backward compatibility
> > old FITS files. It did throw me off, with just one letter difference!  I
> > think there must be some  old software that is still being used to create
> > fits files that do use RADECSYS.   I was using it (not bothering to check
> > the standard all the time, - yes bad!) and I suspect that Swift UVOT
> > software uses it (which is built on the HEASARC FTOOLS - so that might
> use
> > it also).  I'll bring it up in the UVOT group, but with the kind of very
> > limited software support that is left after 10 years of Swift mission, it
> > might not be possible to make the changes.
> >
> > To get back to my original issue. I think this means the WCS keywords
> are a
> > historical set that is still supported, but non-standard.  I also think
> that
> > getting a warning each time a file is opened is wrong.
> >
> > In my software I'd like to disable that warning.  I guess I'll need to
> have
> > a good look at the error handling in Astropy as I have somewhere another
> > warning pop up with loads of verbage, opening an ascii file. It actually
> > worked, just is very loud.   I hope there is a way to get a different
> > response for errors and warnings  to be used during testing and actual
> use.
> >
> > Thanks again for all the responses.
> >
> >    Paul Kuin
> >

> > On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Tim Jenness <tim.jenness at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> RADECSYS is a very common historic header that was used before support
> was
> >> added for multiple WCS definitions in a single header. I think it was
> >> dropped before the official paper II standard was published was was
> [...]

* * * * * * * * http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~npmk/ * * * *
Dr. N.P.M. Kuin      (n.kuin at ucl.ac.uk)
phone +44-(0)1483 (prefix) -204927 (work)
mobile +44(0)7806985366  skype ID: npkuin