[AstroPy] Trying to read Tycho-2 catalog

Leonard Burtscher burtscher at mpe.mpg.de
Thu Sep 3 11:38:43 EDT 2015

Hi Ole,

I would recommend using the astropy.Table class which makes it very easy to deal with tables. To read your table you can simply do

from astropy.table import Table
tyc = Table.read("tyc2.dat.00",format="ascii")

I am not sure what the size restriction or performance of this is, but parsing 500 MB of text through Python will certainly take a while.

If you're only interested in a subset of the catalog, I would recommend cutting out the required columns using bash tools. E.g. if you only need columns 1 and 2, you could do

cat tyc2.dat.00 | awk -F "|" '{print $1 "|" $2}' > tyc2_12.dat.00

Best,
Leonard