[AstroPy] Astroplan v0.1 Announcement

Jazmin Berlanga Medina jazmin.berlanga at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 14:07:40 EDT 2015

Hi all!

Brett Morris and Jazmin Berlanga Medina, student programmers for Astropy
and the Python Sofware foundation, would like to share our Google Summer of
Code project with you.

We're proud to announce v0.1 of Astroplan, an observation planning and
scheduling toolbox for astronomers!

Astroplan is an open-source Python package and is powered by Astropy.

Features include:

- Calculate rise/set/transit times, alt/az positions for targets at
observatories anywhere on Earth
- Built-in plotting functions (airmass, parallactic angle, sky maps)
- Determine which targets are "observable" given a list of constraints like
moon separation, "above" some airmass, and/or within an altitude range, etc.
- Built-in site list, with ability for users to add more.
- Did we mention we're powered by Astropy?

For more information on Astroplan, check out:
http://astroplan.readthedocs.org

We're just starting out and invite any astronomers, observatories,
programmers and other cool people to join us in making this a great
package! We're envisioning scheduling algorithms, a graphical interface and
much more!

Feedback and feature contribution are welcome at:
https://github.com/astropy/astroplan

What's Google Summer of Code? Check out:
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015

Thanks!
Jazmin Berlanga Medina & Brett Morris