[AstroPy] Question re. astropy.table

Perry Greenfield stsci.perry at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:30:26 EST 2016

It may be possible to speed it up a lot if you can access the underlying table as a numpy recarray and take advantage of memory mapping as well. The downside of doing that is that you have to deal with logical column translations yourself (i.e., testing for ’T’ or ‘F’), and having to scale results if any columns use BSCALE or BZERO. But for what you show below, that probably isn’t the case. I wish I had time to try this out myself, but it would work something like this (untested).

nprarr = tablehdu.data.view(np.recarray)

Then you would access whatever columns you want. If it is really large, you may want to read in column data in subsets (e.g., only a few hundred thousand rows at a time) to copy to an in memory array for those data. Perhaps tomorrow I can give this a try (particularly if you can point me to an example file).

Perry