[AstroPy] [ANN] Released Astropy v1.1.1 and v1.0.8

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Fri Jan 8 16:13:22 EST 2016

Hi all,

I just released two patch releases for Astropy: v1.1.1, and for those using the
LTS v1.0.8.  These releases include a patch to astropy.io.fits for a critical
bug [1], which could cause quiet data loss from FITS binary tables on Python 3.
  Specifically, this only affects updates to string columns in existing binary
tables, and only occurs on Python 3, not Python 2.

I'm announcing this now because in order to get awareness out to anyone who
might possibly be affected by this issue.  The new releases are currently
available on PyPI only, but will be available via conda before long.

The releases also include a handful of other bug fixes that have been merged
since the previous patch releases.

Thanks everyone who helped me get these releases out the door quickly, and for
the continued support of our users.

Erik B.

[1] https://github.com/astropy/astropy/pull/4452