[AstroPy] Need HEALPix functionality in Astropy? Please read.

Demitri Muna demitri.muna at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:09:03 EST 2016

Hi,

Many of us are interested in incorporating HEALPix support in our software, whether that means getting Healpy into AstroPy or my interest in some level of support in Nightlight. Part of the issue is the license; the current HEALPix library is under GPL. I sent a message to the healpix-support mailing list requesting a more liberal license, but the developers are resistant to this. There is some support for a limited version of the library to be released under a more liberal license. This library would include core functionality, i.e. probably the majority of what most of us need.

Currently, it looks like I am the only one requesting this. If anyone is interested in such a library, PLEASE subscribe to the healpix-support mailing list and request this. We need to show there is interest for this. The list is here:

This will only take a few minutes, which I promise is less time than it will take to implement the code independent of the existing library!

Thanks,
Demitri

Demitri Muna
http://muna.com <http://muna.com/>