[AstroPy] ANN: Sherpa v4.8.0 released

Doug Burke dburke.gw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 09:04:27 EST 2016

Jon,

I thought we were compatible with numpy 1.10 - or did I just forget
something we said in the announcement? This does raise a question I've just
asked Tom Aldcroft: what is the expectation in the Astronomical Python
community about version support for numpy, matplotlib, gcc/gfortran,
astropy, ... (we're aiming to improve our Travis-CI build matrix to cover a
reasonable set of options).

The master branch of sherpa supports matplotlib 1.5: this release was just
to get something out that matched CIAO, so this fix didn't make it into the
4.8.0 code. The plan is to have a 4.8.1 release April-ish, which will have
the matplotlib fix in. Or you could just use the master branch and compile
from source - the changes in it since 4.8.0 are mainly clean up and
improvements to the build/test infrastructure. There is a little-bit of
improved functionality or bug fixes, but nothing likely to affect you
(although, of course, standard disclaimer about using an unreleased
branch). If neither of these are workable, then I'm afraid it is a case of
creating an anaconda environment and then using

% conda install sherpa 'matplotlib < 1.5' astropy ...

Doug