[AstroPy] astropy EarthLocation needs local coordinates

Tim Cornwell realtimcornwell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 05:36:54 EDT 2016

Hi,

I’ve just started using Astropy for some SKA simulation work. I’m loving it. High quality code with lots of well documented functionality.

I hav a small feature request. Unless I’m missing something, there is no way to convert a set of local positions (antennas or stations) at a known site to geodetic or geocentric. This is often needed in radio interferometry to convert putative telescope array layouts into true geocentric so that the array reference point can be added.

The input local coordinates are usually in a tangent plane touching the geoid at the reference point.

Best,

Tim