[AstroPy] IRAF geomap and geotran equivalent in AstroPy?

Steve Crawford crawfordsm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:45:39 EDT 2016

Hi Russell,

Neither has a direct transformation into python as far as I know.
However, here are the status of some related things:

There are a lot of things in python that let's you transform your
image (scikit image for example).   In ccdproc, we have wrapped the
reproject package to provide a transform_image task:
http://ccdproc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api/ccdproc.transform_image.html#ccdproc.transform_image

This will provide similar functionality to geotran but the user has to
provide what the transformation they want to provide.

Also, I've started on a little bit of a work in progress of a
geomap/ccmap replacement as it does seem like a high priority item.
However I have not made much progress at the moment, but if anyone
wants to coordinate, please let me know.

On the other hand, there are other packages (astrometry.net, swarp for
example) that do similar things as well that might be just as good or
better.

Cheers
Steve