[AstroPy] IRAF geomap and geotran equivalent in AstroPy?

Mihai Cara mihail.cara at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 13:54:17 EDT 2016

It has been a long time since I've used either geomap or geotran and so I
cannot guarantee that my suggestions will 100% match your needs.
DrizzlePac from STScI (https://github.com/spacetelescope/drizzlepac)
contains methods that replicate (somewhat) geomap except they can do the
fitting only using linear transformations (no support for higher order
polynomials):

import drizzlepac
drizzlepac.linearfit.fit_all(xy, uv, method='rscale')

NOTE: method='general' allows fitting for skews as well (that is, it
produces two rotation angles, two scales, and two shifts).

Another low-level package https://github.com/spacetelescope/drizzle can be
used to resample your images. However, you will need to provide your own
coordinate mappings computed from the transformations found in the fitting
step.

Mihai