[AstroPy] Sticking with this mailing list

Kelle Cruz kellecruz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 17:07:26 EDT 2017

Hey All,

*Bottom line: *Due to the difficulty in making sure everyone gets migrated
to a new Google group, we’ve decided to just stick with this list. No
action is required. The list address remains astropy at python.org

*Background and Extra Info:* NumFocus migrated this mailman list to a new
server and gave it a new address: astropy at python.org. Coincidentally, at
the same time, the Astropy Coordination Committee started a process to
migrate the list to Google Groups. We paused the migration to Google Groups
to re-evaluate but then decided to move forward due to the increased
searchability of Google Groups. However, right now, only 10 invites to a
google group can be sent at a time and each batch requires a time intensive
series of CAPTCHA hoops. (There are only so many images which contain road
signs I can identify in a day!) In the end, we decided that keeping
subscribers is more important than searchability. We also anticipate in the
not-too-distant future that either NumFocus will solve this problem with a
better listserve or a less clunky feature will appear for migrating large
lists to Google groups.

Sorry for the noise and thanks so much for your patience and understanding.

Thanks,
Kelle (on behalf of the Astropy Coordination Committee)

--
Kelle Cruz, PhD — http://kellecruz.com/
917.725.1334 — Hunter: x16486 — AMNH: x7930