[AstroPy] SunPy 0.8 Release

Stuart Mumford stuart at cadair.com
Fri Aug 18 06:59:05 EDT 2017

The SunPy project is happy to announce the release of SunPy 0.8
“Expected Eclipse”.

SunPy 0.8 is the next major release of SunPy and contains 1442 commits
in over 200 pull requests, closing 163 issues from 35 people, 17 of whom
have never contributed before.

This release is a large milestone for the SunPy library. It contains
large new features that have been in development for a number of years,
and will form the foundation of SunPy for the future. The main additions
are 'sunpy.net.Fido' and 'sunpy.timeseries', as well as major upgrades
to 'sunpy.coordinates'. Along with this it deprecates some old parts of
SunPy that have been rewritten, two submodules 'sunpy.lightcurve' and
'sunpy.wcs' have been superseded by 'sunpy.timeseries' and
'sunpy.coordinates' respectively. For a tour of the new functionality in
this release see the “What’s new in 0.8” page:
http://docs.sunpy.org/en/stable/whatsnew/0.8.html

<http://docs.sunpy.org/en/stable/whatsnew/0.8.html>

SunPy 0.8 can be installed either through conda or pip on Python 2.7,
3.5 and 3.6. For the first time with this release we have built binary
wheels, which mean SunPy can be installed from PyPI without the need for
a compiler.

To upgrade SunPy using conda run:

$ conda upgrade sunpy

Using pip run:

$ pip install --upgrade sunpy

The complete installation instructions can be found here:
http://docs.sunpy.org/en/stable/guide/installation/ (at the time of
writing this email the windows conda packages are still being built).

In addition to people who have contributed to the code I would like to
highlight the work of Nabil Freij who has done a lot of work in the last
few months releasing bug fixes for the 0.7 series, and this 0.8 release,
as well as a lot of behind the scenes work on SunPy's tooling. I would
also like to thank Duygu Keşkek who has redesigned the sunpy.org
<http://sunpy.org/>page and the documentation as part of her GSOC
project. Finally, I would like to welcome Monica Bobra and Sabrina
Savage to the SunPy Board.

The people who have contributed to the code for this release are:

Stuart Mumford

Jack Ireland

Nabil Freij

Punyaslok Pattnaik

Alex Hamilton

Ankit Kumar *

David Pérez-Suárez

Steven Christe

Rishabh Sharma

Albert Y. Shih

Sudarshan Konge

Daniel Ryan

Ankit Baruah *

Brigitta Sipocz

Prateek Chanda *

Andrew Leonard

Sanskar Modi

Nitin Choudhary *

Agneet Chatterjee *

Michael Charlton *

Rajul Srivastava

Dhruv Goel *

Garrison Taylor *

Serge Zahniy *

Andrew Inglis

Ankit

Joe Letts *

Shane Maloney *

Adrian Price-Whelan *

Dan D'Avella *

Duygu Keşkek *

Fionnlagh Mackenzie Dover *

Kalpesh Krishna *

Kaustubh Hiware *

Larry Manley

Where an * indicates their first contribution.

Stuart Mumford,

On behalf of the SunPy Project