[AstroPy] ANN: Sherpa v4.9.1 released (a belated email)

Doug Burke dburke.gw at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 14:26:41 EDT 2017

Tom's announcement of glue v0.11 (I'll let you go off and check that out
first) reminded me that I'd forgotten to send out a release note for our
recent release of Sherpa 4.9.1. So here goes:

We are happy to announce the v4.9.1 release of  Sherpa, a Python-based
fitting and modelling system that has strong support for Astronomy data (in
particular, X-ray data). Thanks to Zenodo and GitHub its DOI is
http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.838686

Thanks to members of the AstroPy community, both for the packages we use in
Sherpa and for their investment in time reporting issues, suggesting fixes,
and providing code improvements. Development continues at
https://github.com/sherpa/sherpa/ and we welcome your continued interest.

Release notes are available at
https://github.com/sherpa/sherpa/releases/tag/4.9.1 and include improved
Python 3 support (tests are now run on Python 3.6 as well as 3.5), improved
support for non-Chandra X-ray data files, fixed a significant regression
with user statistics, as well as various minor fixes and improvements
throughout, including testing and documentation.

We provide Linux and OS-X packages for users of the Anaconda Python
Distribution,

$ conda config --add channels https://conda.binstar.org/sherpa
$ conda install sherpa

It is also available for install via pip - see
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sherpa/4.9.1 - and we appreciate any input or
comments on this means of distribution.

Source code can be downloaded from
https://github.com/sherpa/sherpa/releases/tag/4.9.1

Further information can be found at http://cxc.harvard.edu/contrib/sherpa/ and
we look forward to any input you have. Please feel free to forward this
announcement to anyone who you feel would be interested in this release.

For the Sherpa core development team,
Doug Burke