[AstroPy] ANN: Sherpa v4.9.0 released

Doug Burke dburke.gw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 08:50:03 EST 2017

Dear colleagues,

We are very happy to announce the v4.9.0 release of Sherpa, a Python-based
fitting and modelling system that has strong support for Astronomy data (in
particular, X-ray data). Thanks to Zenodo and GitHub its DOI is
http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.260416

Thanks to members of the AstroPy community, both for the packages we use in
Sherpa and for their investment in time reporting issues, suggesting fixes,
and providing code improvements. Development continues at
https://github.com/sherpa/sherpa/ and we welcome your continued interest.

Release notes are available at
https://github.com/sherpa/sherpa/releases/tag/4.9.0 and include improved
Python 3.5 support, a significant refactoring of the Fit and Stat classes
based on dicussions with our GammaPy colleagues, and a release to PyPi
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sherpa/4.9.0

We provide Linux and OS-X packages for users of the Anaconda Python
Distribution,

$ conda config --add channels https://conda.binstar.org/sherpa
$ conda install sherpa

Or source code can be downloaded from https://github.com/sherpa/sherpa/tags

Further information can be found at http://cxc.harvard.edu/contrib/sherpa/
and we look forward to any input you have. Please feel free to forward this
announcement to anyone who you feel would be interested in this release.

For the Sherpa core development team,
Doug Burke