[AstroPy] VO cone-searches

Alexandre Beelen alexandre.beelen at ias.u-psud.fr
Thu Feb 16 03:39:06 EST 2017

Hi,

Following the documentation [1], I was trying to use the
~astropy.vo.client.vos_catalog.call_vo_service routine to make a
conesearch on a list of services which are not present in the default
cone search services list, namely a bunch of CDS/Vizier cone search
services.

Using  vos_catalog.VOSCatalog I created a custom database with 3
conesearch services, which I passed to vos_catalog.call_vo_service.
However, only the first matching service result is returned, instead of
the naively expected 3 results. It seems that this is a built-in feature
of call_vo_service [2].

I was wondering if this was a wanted feature or if I could wrap-up a
small PR to return a list of ~astropy.Table.table.

Similarly ~astroquery returns a custom
~astroquery.utils.commons.TableList ordered list, but I wonder if the
equivalent type exist or will exist in astropy.table.

Thanks !

a.

PS : BTW, would it be better to send an email here or to open an issue
on github for this kind of problem ?

1 - http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/vo/conesearch/client.html
2 -
https://github.com/astropy/astropy/blob/master/astropy/vo/client/vos_catalog.py