[AstroPy] Offset coordinate by distance and position angle

Daniel Evans d.f.evans at keele.ac.uk
Mon Jan 9 08:11:31 EST 2017

Dear all,

I have a set of (RA, Dec) positions of objects, which have companion
objects with positions specified by separation (arcsec) and position angle
(degrees E of N). I would like to calculate the (RA, Dec) positions of the
companion objects from this data.

Is there a way to calculate these (RA, Dec) positions within the AstroPy
SkyCoord framework (or any other part of AstroPy)? I can find functions to
calculate separations from two sets of (RA, Dec) coordinates, or to offset
if (deltaRA, deltaDec) are known, but not for separation and P.A..

Regards,
Daniel