[AstroPy] astropy.vo.client conesearch radius problem?

Benjamin Weiner bjw at as.arizona.edu
Tue Jan 17 19:40:12 EST 2017

​Hi,

I can't speak about the inner workings of either the astropy VO search or
the catalog search parsers, but I have a couple of suggestions, the first
related to the science goal.

1. The astrometric accuracy of GSC is about 0.2-0.3 arcsec rms and the
astrometric accuracy of USNO-B is about 0.2 arcsec (not sure if rms;
numbers are from the catalog papers). In general, it's probably not useful
to use a matching radius less than 2-3 times the rms accuracy of the
catalog, unless you have a specialized application.

2. Doing an astrometric difference of coordinates at less than 1 arcsec or
so can underflow a single precision floating point number. So if somewhere
in this processing chain is single precision, it risks getting erroneous
results.

The actual problem here could be something as simple as the CDS parser, but
it would be useful to know if the error persists with a larger search
radius.

Ben

--
Benjamin Weiner
Associate Astronomer, Steward Observatory
bjw at as.arizona.edu
http://mingus.as.arizona.edu/~bjw/