[AstroPy] Calculating alt/az or zenith angle/parallactic angle

Francisco Gallardo lópez f.gallardo.lopez at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 05:13:59 EST 2017

@Tim:

You may want to take a look at the Apsynsim <https://launchpad.net/apsynsim> .
It's a code in Python made by Ivan Martí (Chalmers Univ.). It's a R.
Astronomy interferometer simulator.

The code is available and includes a GUI. It uses the Hour Angle for the
calculations, so by looking at the "APSYNSIM.py" you may be able to
implement what you want ( def _changeCoordinates ?).

BTW: I read again my last email and realized that it should be HA = LST - ar[k]
 no the other way around.

@Erik: We were trying to calculate the EL curves (during a long time span)
for a large number of NEOs. We used JPL Spice to obtain the RA and DEC for
those instants. It was a matter of translating that to the observer local
Sky  (the idea was to generate a friendly web-based user interface). It was
quite slow and we thought it was due to this Issue:  https://github.com/
astropy/astropy/issues/3323

BR
Fran Gallardo