[AstroPy] (Table) unit formatting

Yannick Roehlly yannick.roehlly at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 11:31:07 EDT 2017

On mercredi 1 novembre 2017 15:15:15 GMT Thomas Robitaille wrote:
> I think there is no 'standard' way to write descriptions for columns to FITS

Hi,

In fact, there is a Topcat way to store the description TCOMMnn, nn being the
column number. But as it is not in the standard, it is not taken into accound
by astropy.  The problem is that when you open a table with astropy and add a
column, when you save the table an open it again with Topcat the column
descriptions are wrong from the inserted column on, because astropy kept the
TCOMM keywords.

Strictly speaking, it is not a bug in astropy as it deals with the TCOMM
keywords as any other keyword.  What people think about this?

Cheers,

Yannick

--
I need another lawyer like I need another hole in my head.
		-- Fratianno