[AstroPy] pyfits - Header Keywords with Units

Charles Paxson cwp.paxson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:10:49 EDT 2018

In regard to working with pyfits, I am having difficulty finding the syntax
to place units into FITS formatted header keys.  These are header keys that *do
not *describe the table columns, but single values with units.  As work
around, or maybe its the accepted way to do this, I have added the units
within a bracket [ units ] and concatenated the bracketed string to the
description.  I pass the tuple of (value, description) to the proper header
object and I receive the correct results. In describing columns in the hdu
tables, there is an explicit keyword for units that gets set for TUNITSn,
but for keywords that do not describe column data, I have so far found no
such units setting.  Thanks.

Regards,

Charles