[AstroPy] Making a GPL-v2+ Astropy affiliated package

Singer, Leo P. (GSFC-6610) leo.p.singer at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 1 21:48:52 EST 2018

Hi,

I am starting the process of moving a large body of my own code [1], which is licensed under GPL-2+, to an Astropy affiliated package. I would like to keep the existing licensing.

However, the Astropy affiliated package templated is all BSD licensed. Some files in my project (like setup.py and conftest.py) are largely unmodified from the template. Is this compatible with licensing my own project as a whole as GPL-2+? Is it sufficient to add my own LICENSE.md file, change the "Licensed under a 3-clause BSD style license" comment at the top of setup.py, and change the license entry in setup.cfg?

Thanks,
Leo

----
Dr. Leo P. Singer