[AstroPy] AstroPy Digest, Vol 151, Issue 3

Christoph Deil deil.christoph at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 17 13:41:20 EDT 2019

Hi Rick,

if you want a astropy.table.Table object, use Table.read.

You can pass it a filename, but you can also pass an astropy.io <http://astropy.io/>.fits.BinTableHDU object,
If for some reason you already have it in memory.

I agree it’s weird that Table.read does this, adding a astropy.io.fits.hdu_to_table function would make this easier to discover.
Maybe file an issue with Astropy with that suggestion?

Christoph