[AstroPy] Instructions for using dev tools

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 12:41:47 EDT 2019

Hi,

I have been working on a couple of astropy pull requests, and I would like
to take advantage of various development tools, but I can't find any
instructions and they don't seem to do the right thing by default.

* How do I run flake8 to see if my files meet the coding standards? If I
just run flake8 from the root directory I am submerged in a blizzard of
warnings from files I have never touched. The same is true of python
setup.py flake8. I see that there is a CI run that runs flake8 with all
sorts of warnings turned off, but it's arranged through an environment
variable so there's no easy way for me to use that (should I?). I can run
flake8-diff, but again it complains about all sorts of things - often lines
that are too long - that are clearly acceptable in astropy source code. Is
the current situation because there are two levels of flake8 compliance -
one that is needed to allow building at all, and a better one new code
should meet?

* How do I clear out the test environment? I find with python setup.py test
astropy keeps running tests left over from another branch. I have no idea
where these are stored, perhaps in the virtualenv of the installed package?

I am happy to add the correct instructions to CONTRIBUTING.rst, when I find
out what they are.

Thanks,
Anne