[AstroPy] Recovering and interpolating contents of a Spectrum1D spectrum

Peter Dzwig pdzwig at summaventures.com
Sat Jun 13 07:45:07 EDT 2020

All,

I have to work with a Spectrum1D object, spectrum, which I have
"inherited" (think of it as legacy-ware):

  spectrum = Spectrum1D(spectral_axis= wavelength, flux=field_strength)

I need to recover the wavelengths and field_strength to standard numpy
arrays because I need to interpolate between the points in the available
(probably less than first-class) dataset.  It would be great if I could
do the interpolation within Spectrum1D  but as far as I can see
specutils doesn't provide a tool to do so.

Hence, I have to extract the data - and subsequently create a new
Spectrum1D object containing the interpolated data.

I know what the units are already, so am not concerned about preserving
units while extracting the datapoints.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

--

Dr. Peter Dzwig