[AstroPy] Fwd: [#dotastro] Announcing .Astronomy 12 in Madrid

Kelle Cruz kellecruz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:51:30 EST 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Robert Simpson <robert.simpson at dotastronomy.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 4:01 AM
Subject: [#dotastro] Announcing .Astronomy 12 in Madrid
To: <dotastro at googlegroups.com>

The .Astronomy Foundation is thrilled to announce that *.Astronomy 12 will
be held September 15-17th at ESAC*, near Madrid in Spain. Our hosts are the
ESAC Science Data Centre. ESAC is ESA's science operations centre for all
ESA astronomy, planetary, and heliophysics missions, together with its
scientific archives.

If you’re interested in taking part, use this form to express your interest
in being a part of it
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdmvla8Ma54xNrI5aDnu-WC2Qa9ucbbjiYBEpPghxTylHepKQ/viewform>.
The form closes at the end of March. We will work with ESAC to issue
invites by the end of April 2020.

The conference will include researchers, communicators, educators, data
scientists and those who are all or none of the above. The aim is to be as
inclusive as possible - so if you’d like to spend three days discussing
astronomy and tech, creating and learning new tools, and challenging each
other with new ideas, please apply

We especially encourage you to apply if you’ve never been before. We also
have some funds put aside to support travel and accommodation for a small
number of attendees, (particularly those at an early career stage).

ESAC is an amazing place to host .Astronomy. The archives for the majority
of ESA’s astronomy missions are maintained at ESAC, and the ESDC also
develops ESASky, a science-driven discovery portal. ESAC is home to data
from Gaia as well as XMM-Newton, INTEGRAL, Herschel, Planck, Hubble, and
more.

For this reason, we’re especially interested in participants working in and
around the intersection of data science and archival data exploration. For
example multi-dimensional and multi-messenger data visualization (e.g.
using data cubes from Euclid, JWST, LSST and ALMA); using science
exploitation platforms (e.g. SciServer) in collaborative research; and the
use of machine learning in astronomical data discovery and archival
research.

But those are just guidelines: anyone can apply! We are looking for people
who want to transform the way astronomy is done - especially if their work
is interdisciplinary or unique. So fill out this form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdmvla8Ma54xNrI5aDnu-WC2Qa9ucbbjiYBEpPghxTylHepKQ/viewform>
(by the end of March) and share it far and wide. We look forward to another
energizing and exciting edition of .Astronomy.

Thanks,

Rob and the .Astronomy Team

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dotastro/CAOWaXY9GaQUVXVwa6fuyCdA%2BYbb1%2B_pz%2B9y%3DAYYM8boA7VgxWg%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dotastro/CAOWaXY9GaQUVXVwa6fuyCdA%2BYbb1%2B_pz%2B9y%3DAYYM8boA7VgxWg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>