[AstroPy] WCS with non-uniform axis

John Armstrong (PGR) j.armstrong.2 at research.gla.ac.uk
Wed Mar 25 10:07:23 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I am currently trying to construct a custom WCS for imaging spectropolarimetric observations I have. The wavelengths sampled are not uniform across the spectral line (the wings are sampled more coarsely than the core) and therefore, there is no cdelt for the wavelength axis. Is there a way for me to tell the WCS object what the wavelength values are at each point? As I understand the WCS construction, you give the constructor a central wavelength, the length of the axis and the cdelt for that axis, is there a way to still construct the wavelength axis by giving it an array of wavelengths rather than cdelt?

Thanks for any help/insights you may be able to offer. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Kind regards,
John
Mr. John Armstrong (he/him), FRAS MSci
PhD Student, Astronomy & Astrophysics Group,
Schools of Physics & Astronomy,
Kelvin Building (room 604),

University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
E: j.armstrong.2 at research.gla.ac.uk<mailto:j.armstrong.2 at research.gla.ac.uk>