[AstroPy] Effect of observer elevation on sunset time

Stuart P Littlefair s.littlefair at sheffield.ac.uk
Sat May 9 14:24:53 EDT 2020

I should probably think about this more before I embarrass myself but - isn’t this right?

The sun is 93 million miles away so a tangential movement of a few thousand metres is going to make a negligible angular distance, no?

Is the apparent difference in sunset times at high altitudes more of a refraction effect?

Stuart Littlefair
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy
Univ. of Sheffield, Sheffield, S3 7RH

email: s.littlefair at shef.ac.uk