[AstroPy] IDEA proposal results

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 11:11:03 EDT 2020

Hello all,

I’m happy to announce the outcome of the Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity
in Astropy proposal process. As we discussed last month, this open proposal
process involved submitting proposals on github and community discussion to
arrive at a conclusion which proposal to fund. You can see the full list of
proposals here:
https://github.com/astropy/astropy-project/labels/inclusion-diversity-empowerment

and if you’re interested you can view some of the overall discussion either
on the mailing list thread or in the #project channel of the Astropy Slack.

In the end, those who participated in the discussion broadly arrived at a
consensus of the following ranking:

   1.

   Outreachy (https://github.com/astropy/astropy-project/pull/124)
   2.

   WoCCode (https://github.com/astropy/astropy-project/pull/130)
   3.

   PASEA (https://github.com/astropy/astropy-project/pull/128)
   4.

   One-stop shop (https://github.com/astropy/astropy-project/pull/121)

(Note there is one more proposal that is not listed because it did not ask
for funding and thus didn’t enter into the ranking discussion.)

Based on the budgets and available funding, this means the *first 2* will
receive funding - congratulations to Brigitta, Lia, and their respective
teams!  Given the success of this process, it is quite possible there will
be further calls in future years, so we encourage everyone to try again
next round if possible.

Also, we welcome any feedback on this collaborative selection process as we
are considering using it, or something similar, for future funding
decisions.

For the Coordination Committee and the Interim Finance Committee,

Erik Tollerud