[AstroPy] Question re objects within radius of given co-ordinates

Jim Singh jimmyboysingh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 07:20:45 EDT 2021

Thanks so much for your response Eric, yes this helps tremendously!

I did some additional filtering and formatting (to enable direct comparison
of returned results with a star map on the phone), and they match up
nicely.
However, as can be seen below, some rows are without names - this is
expected?

from astroquery.vizier import Vizier
import astropy.units as u
v = Vizier(columns=['Name','_RAJ2000', '_DEJ2000',
'Vmag'],column_filters={"Vmag":"<8"})
result = v.query_region("rigel", radius="02d00m00s", catalog="V/50")
for table_name in result.keys():
    table = result[table_name]
    table['_RAJ2000'] = table['_RAJ2000'].to(u.hourangle)
    table['_RAJ2000'].info.format = '10.3f'
    print(table)

Name    _RAJ2000   _DEJ2000   Vmag
                hourangle     deg      mag
--------- ---------- ---------- -----
               5.139  -8.665000  5.78
69Lam Eri      5.152  -8.754167  4.27
               5.226  -8.147778  6.37
19Bet Ori      5.242  -8.201667  0.12
20Tau Ori      5.293  -6.844444  3.60

Also, presumably another Vizier DB contains a mapping of 'common name'
(where one exists) to the Bayer name? I tried for example the online form
for IV/22 "Common Name Cross Index" and although for our first example it
found 'BET CEN' when given the RA and Dec of Hadar, it did not return
anything in the 'name' field (where I'd expected 'Hadar' to appear):

*RAJ2000"h:m:s"*
*DEJ2000"d:m:s"*
*Vmagmag* BFno name
14 03 49.408 -60 22 22.79 0.61         BET CEN

Regards,
Jim