[AstroPy] Query for Messier objects in a given region

Eric Jensen ejensen1 at swarthmore.edu
Sun Apr 11 10:40:29 EDT 2021

Hi Jim,

The total number of Messier objects is small, so I think you might just want to download and store locally a table of their coordinates and properties (e.g. in a spreadsheet) that you could read into your code each time.  Then in your Python code you could do something like this:

- read spreadsheet to pandas data frame (pandas.read_excel)
- convert to astropy table (Table.from_pandas)
- use astropy coordinate routines to calculate angular distance from your field center to each object in the table
- apply a filter to keep only those objects within a given angular distance.

This would have the advantage that you could edit that Messier list to tweak it however you wanted, e.g. to combine columns from different sources if one has coords and another has magnitudes.

If you can’t find a suitable Messier list, you could even write a one-time routine to loop over Simbad calls to build and store it, but I bet you can find most/all of what you need already formatted somewhere.

Astropy docs will help you with specific syntax, but this should get you started.

Eric