[AstroPy] YASQ - Yet Another SkyCoord Question

Adrian Price-Whelan adrianmpw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 15:23:23 EST 2021

Hi Peter,

It's possible that there are some intermittent issues with the Simbad
database itself, or with your connection. I just tried and it worked for me:

>>> coord.SkyCoord.from_name("LEDA30866")
<SkyCoord (ICRS): (ra, dec) in deg
    (157.255, 29.63472222)>

Did the error message return any additional information? It's possible we
need to audit the error messages we raise to make sure they provide enough
information for cases like this.

best,
Adrian

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 3:14 PM Peter Dzwig <pdzwig at summaventures.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have been attempting to get RA, Dec from SkyCoord via
> SkyCoord.from_name. It claims to be "unable to resolve" quite a few names.
>
> As a concrete example, LEDA 30866:
>
> SkyCoord.from_name(LEDA30866)
>
> oit goes to CDS at strasbourg and gives me back the message: "Unable to
> resolve", yet if I go directly to HyperLEDA
>
> (a) it is a recognised object (PGC030866);
> (b) it cross-identifies it and gives *three* SDSS names (plus others).
>
> If instead I put in one of the various SDSS names (I have tried all
> three) I get the same message.
>
> The obvious question: why can't it resolve the name? is it because it
> hasn't a way to choose between the choice names?
>
> Can someone clarify - and possibly offer a way to resolve this issue?
>
> So far I have encountered this issue in about 20% of my searches.
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Peter
> --
>
> Dr. Peter Dzwig