[AstroPy] Astrophotography SW?

James Sokolowski drjimsok at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 12:52:16 EST 2021

Kelle,

Yeah, it's kindof weird to me coming from a professional background, where
most everything was done by scripting our own code, and then today, where
mature data science / ML / AI resources are available to do 90% of the
grunge work for you, then you add the 10% super-ultra-duper special sauce
by extending w/ Python code written to integrate with the tools very
easily.  Now I should admit there are other APIs and a lot of data
scientists also use R, but I'm not a fan of that tool.

Now, as I'm just setting up my first kit and trying to decide on S/W to use
(acquisition & stacking are done) I see several nice commercial packages,
but it's CRAZY that they don't have a Python API (or don't seem to and the
docs aren't clear).  This sort of S/W development paradigm, where a central
authority (commercial or other) maintains the central code repository and
users are free to add as they see fit (of course w/o modifying the main
code) is amazing in data science.  Obviously AstroPy follows this model,
but it doesn't have a reasonable GUI-driven interface for the majority of
the grunge work...

Anyway, very nice to meet you.
Jim