[AstroPy] Image reprojection and counts

Dominik Rhiem hg.dude.hg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 13:33:56 EST 2021

Dear all,

I am planning to use the reproject_interp function to rescale several fits
images of different clusters in such a way that after the reprojection, the
maps have the same number of pixels and the same size in terms of
R500/Theta500 for the specific cluster; this means that the pixel size in
arcsec will depend on the cluster after the rescaling.
However, the flux information contained in the maps is scaled by the pixel
size; before the rescaling, each pixel contains counts with the units mJy
per pixel area [arcsec**2]. Does the function reproject_interp take this
into account or should I multiply the maps with the pixel area before
rescaling?
If anything about this is unclear, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Dominik Rhiem