[AstroPy] Summing an array

Peter Dzwig pdzwig at summaventures.com
Wed Jul 13 03:50:07 EDT 2022

On 12/07/2022 18:53, E. Madison Bray wrote:

> Personally I've soured a bit on the use of notebooks for research
> fiddling.  I think they're very good for presentation of working code
> and data, and to some extent as lab notebooks for more experienced
> users, but I think the capability for out-of-order execution and
> re-running errors in previously run code hands too many foot-guns to
> novices, compared to a normal, linear, REPL.

I agree about the potential for oddities creeping in ... and the only
way to work with them is to re-initialise the kernel and clear down
state fairly frequently. The integration of so many packages for
displaying data etc makes them (fairly) straightforward to work with if
you want to (e.g) get a quick look at that spectrum you just removed
background from or whatever.

To those of us who tried to run research programs using punched-cards.. :-)

--

Dr. Peter Dzwig