[Async-sig] Blog post: Timeouts and cancellation for humans

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Jan 16 04:56:33 EST 2018

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 6:33 PM, Dima Tisnek <dimaqq at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the latter is what `shield` should do? That is detach computation as
> opposed to blocking the caller past caller's deadline?

Well, it can't do that in trio :-). One of trio's core design
principles is: no detached processes.

And even if you don't think detached processes are inherently a bad
idea, I don't think they're what you'd want in this case anyway. If
your socket shutdown code has frozen, you want to kill it and close
the socket, not move it into the background where it can hang around
indefinitely wasting resources.

-n