[BangPypers] Certification

S.Ramaswamy srsy70 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:35:46 CEST 2007

> Me: So, how will you rate yourself in Python say in a scale 1-5 ?
> Candidate: Ummmm.... like 3.
> Me: Ok, very good. Can you write out a list comprehension to compute
> the sum of a series ?
> Candidate: Err... what is a list comprehension ?

How does certification solve the above problem ?

There will always be features that are not covered by any cert course.
I am making a simplistic assumption here that, features are all that
matter, which is not true at all. Idiomatic python coding style and
features are best learnt by studying code of the better open source
projects. Does one use Python like another VB or some other language
that one is already familiar with ? If yes, then you rarely progress
beyond learning the corresponding features in python. And that's what
happens mostly. It gets used as another VB or Java. The last company I
worked in, I once used a closure somewhere and a bright young fellow
removed it saying, "It's a syntax error" :-(

Regards
Ramaswamy