[BangPypers] Your favorite Python libraries and frameworks

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 15:03:00 CET 2007

I am not a regular user of a lot of Python software. I consider myself
more of a developer rather than a consumer of Python scripts/software :)
My experience with Python is that I tend to develop most of the Python
software for my requirements myself. The language being so flexible
and apt for quick prototyping lends to this.

One Python software which I use a lot is my own HarvestMan. I am currently
developing version 2.0 of it, which means I test it a lot. I have also developed
a multithreaded downloader application on HarvestMan (I call it "hget") which
is something like a X platform downloaded accelerator console tool with
transparent support for mirrors etc. I have not yet published it as a package,
though the code is public. Now a days I have replaced wget almost entirely
with hget ... However since it is not a publicly announced yet, no
point talking about it now. Though I think you will get to hear about
it pretty soon :)

Apart from these I have written some personal management software
on top of Django which is my favorite web application development platform.
I recently wrote a mutual fund manager on it and also a time tracking tool.
Django is absolutely fabulous - I rate it as a top-notch Python framework.

More than Python packages, I seem to reuse a lot of code from the Python
Cookbook web-site, to which I am a frequent contributor. My
$HOME/programs/python is mostly modified ASPN recipes which I use for
doing a lot of daily grunge work and also as a developer library.

--Anand

On 10/29/07, Bharath Keshav <bharath.keshav at gmail.com> wrote:
> I liked Beautiful Soup a lot too when I used it couple of months back. Also,
> Mechanize is a super cool library for filling and submitting the forms of
> any page. One can write a meta search engine by just using these two
> libraries in Python.
>
> Also, PyAmazon(by Mark Pilgrim, author of Dive into Python) is a good Python
> module for accessing the Amazon services. It has a neat interface covering
> almost all the free services provided by Amazon.
>
> Djaptcha seems to be a cool Django capthca(I am yet to use it), which can be
> used with the Django projects with the forms to avoid spamming bots.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Bharath Keshav
>
>  On 10/29/07, Dorai Thodla <dorai at thodla.com> wrote:
> > Thanks. I will explore some of the links.
> >
> > Dorai
> >

> > On 10/28/07, Siddharta < siddharta.lists at gmail.com > wrote:
> > > BeautifulSoup is AWESOME. I did a demo of BeautifulSoup in one of the
> > > Bangpypers meetups in March 2005. I use it regularly to screen scrape
> > > information from web pages.
> > >
> > > Apart from that, my most used libraries are
> > >
> > > - Python Imaging Library : Very nice library to manipulate images,
> > > generate dynamic graphs & charts etc
> > > - ReportLab : Create PDF files
> > > - mechanize : Nice library to automatically open web pages, fill up &
> > > submit forms etc
> > > - pygoogle : Interact with google's search APIs. I use pygoogle a lot.
> > >
> > > Stuff that I dont use, but looks interesting
> > >
> > > - python-mock : http://python-mock.sourceforge.net/
> > > - Construct : http://construct.wikispaces.com/
> > > - Scapy : http://freshmeat.net/projects/scapy/
> > >
> > > --