[BangPypers] Python grows in 2007

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:17:22 CET 2008

The TIOBE programming languages community index {http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm}
shows that Python has gone a step higher in Dec 07 when compared to Dec 06.

Python was at position 7 in 06 and now it is at position 6. Ruby has jumped
two notches from position 11 to position 9.

Other interesting trends is that Java has managed to keep the top-spot
while C++ is on a downward trend. It is also interesting to see the drop
in Perl - I guess a lot of Perl programmers are moving to Ruby or Python :)

The chart below shows the long term trends. A quick look provides
some interesting observations.

 o C++ has been on a downward slope since 2005
 o The Java graph has an overall negative trend since 2001, but
    has numerous large peaks and troughs with the most recent
    being an upward growth. In general the growth has been flat
   since mid 2005
 o Perl is clearly on an downward trend
 o PHP is overall on an upward trend
 o Python had a dramatic peak in early-mid 2004 which spiked
   its popularity (I wonder what caused it!) which it has managed
   to improve further.
 o Ruby has had a major surge in late 2006-2007 and is now
   almost equaling Python though the growth rate of Python is
   slightly more than that of Ruby
o Visual  Basic is on an overall flat trend since 2002 managing to
  keep its space and actually growing in 2007

Good news for Python programmers ... The full report will be
released some time soon.

--
-Anand