[BangPypers] Python grows in 2007

Indrajith K indrajith.k at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:14:39 CET 2008

Its nice to see Python moving up the ladder. But it has to be seen how
to interpret this statistics. The word "popular" if I could make out
is rated by its presence in the internet. The web site clearly
mentions "Observe that the TIOBE index is not about the best
programming language or the language in which most lines of code have
been written." So, the "popularity" is in fact the activity on that
language. It might be wrong to relate it with the usage and industry
requirement. It is very well understandable, that a new programming
language can generate lot of activity. An established programming
language like C or C++ may not have that much activity. Esp, when
internet applications are growing in number, and could well expect the
"web" related languages will have the advantage during this time
period. Out of the first ten, 7 are languages more suited for web
development.

So, in case Python rating drops in the future, I don't mind. Its the
best programming language I have come across.