[BangPypers] Python grows in 2007

Pradeep Kishore Gowda pradeep at btbytes.com
Fri Jan 4 11:47:37 CET 2008

On 1/4/08, Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ruby: 3.5%
> PHP: 5.2%
> Perl: 9.8%
> Python: 35.8%

Well, absolute growth figures can be misleading. If number of packages
goes from 10 to 15, there is a growth of 50%!!

So, for a language like perl, which already has 10k+ packages, the
numbers are still impressive.

Even though I've not written a single line of working code in Perl,
I'd like to acknowledge the power of time-tested perl code. I hope to
get an opportunity in near future to explore the library-power of
perl.

Also, a lot of that 35.8% growth for Python comes from Zope related
packages. Which is a good news/boring news depending on your love for
Zope.

Zopistas have been very positive and consistent in their action when
it comes to good engineering practices like doctests, unittests and
packaging. More power to them.

Repoze project http://www.repoze.org is a must watch for those who
believe in a WSGI future.

Cheers,