[BangPypers] Python grows in 2007

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:23:20 CET 2008

I am not interested in fanning flames. Sorry to compare the wrong statistics.
However it would be interesting to compare the downloads of these so-called
Zope packages w.r.t the downloads of the other packages listed here. That
would be a right comparison, won't it ?

Increased downloads of existing or old packages do represent an
increase in awareness or usage of that language, so this is an interesting
index to look at.

According to me, the Python package index really does not give much
indication of any growth of Python, as does say the CPAN index gives for Perl.
Comparing growth of package indexes can be a misleading index.

TIOBE seems to use a simple search engine hit comparison. Though  a
rough and crude index, this does tend to act as a smooth index of
the popularity of a language, canceling out the noises and variations
in other more specific indices, since a search engine query covers every word
about the language on the web, even blogs about it.

Downloads of packages is a much more worthy index than many others.
For example a 20% increase in downloads of Python language packages
from the Python website (or its mirrors) can be directly considered as a
20% increase in its popularity or usage.

--Anand

On Jan 10, 2008 12:31 PM, Pradeep Kishore Gowda <pradeep at btbytes.com> wrote:
> On 1/10/08, Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, that kind of goes against the theory that Python growth was mostly due
> > to Zope related packages, doesn't it ?
> >

> O RLY!?
>
> AFAIK, I was the one who mentioned zope packages, so let me point out
> something.
>
> I said, the growth in the number of python packages on PyPI is partly
> due to lot of zope related packages, whereas this statistics talks
> about the *downloads*.
>
> They are two completely different statistics.
>
> Cheers,
> Pradeep

-Anand