[BangPypers] Python grows in 2007

Dorai Thodla dorai at thodla.com
Thu Jan 10 08:41:30 CET 2008

There may be several other metrics too.

1. Increasing usage of the language in both open source and commercial
packages
2. Job listings
3. Activity in the discussion groups
<add your own parameter here>

The download activity may not completely measure since some distributions
may include several standard packages (I may be completely out of line
here).

I also wanted to throw in this into the mix:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2008_01_05.shtml#e916

(might have been posted earlier)

Dorai

On Jan 10, 2008 12:53 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am not interested in fanning flames. Sorry to compare the wrong
> statistics.
> However it would be interesting to compare the downloads of these
> so-called
> Zope packages w.r.t the downloads of the other packages listed here. That
> would be a right comparison, won't it ?
>
> Increased downloads of existing or old packages do represent an
> increase in awareness or usage of that language, so this is an interesting
> index to look at.
>
> According to me, the Python package index really does not give much
> indication of any growth of Python, as does say the CPAN index gives for
> Perl.
> Comparing growth of package indexes can be a misleading index.
>
> TIOBE seems to use a simple search engine hit comparison. Though  a
> rough and crude index, this does tend to act as a smooth index of
> the popularity of a language, canceling out the noises and variations
> in other more specific indices, since a search engine query covers every
> word
> about the language on the web, even blogs about it.
>
> Downloads of packages is a much more worthy index than many others.
> For example a 20% increase in downloads of Python language packages
> from the Python website (or its mirrors) can be directly considered as a
> 20% increase in its popularity or usage.
>
> --Anand
>
> On Jan 10, 2008 12:31 PM, Pradeep Kishore Gowda <pradeep at btbytes.com>
> wrote:
> > On 1/10/08, Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Well, that kind of goes against the theory that Python growth was
> mostly due
> > > to Zope related packages, doesn't it ?
> > >

> > O RLY!?
> >
> > AFAIK, I was the one who mentioned zope packages, so let me point out
> > something.
> >
> > I said, the growth in the number of python packages on PyPI is partly
> > due to lot of zope related packages, whereas this statistics talks
> > about the *downloads*.
> >
> > They are two completely different statistics.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Pradeep

> -Anand

Dorai Thodla (http://www.thodla.com)