[BangPypers] Python Web development collaterals...

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:44:25 CEST 2008

Spent the last 30 mins looking at webpy. At the outset, looks pretty
good/attractive, however, I'm yet to see a very professional / complex
website developed using WebPy. WebOS might've been good, but looks like it's
shut down, and the next best is jottit.com ...

Anyhow, as you say, this simplistic anti-framework might be a better place
to start.

On 7/24/08, Pradeep Gowda <pradeep at btbytes.com> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
>
> On your Windows plaf. you could start by installing ActivePython from
>> ActiveState website....
>> It comes with SQLlite (Python2.6's default packaging)... and should be
>> good enough to get you going for some basic DB apps.
>> You could download/install Django as well... for some web-framework
>> development.
>>
>> However if you insist on mysql and CGI based programming, you could
>> download the MySQL windows installer and install it, and the Python bindings
>> for Mysql.
>>
>> These are advice from a non-practising ex-programmer :) so details might
>> be a bit fuzzy.
>>

>> On 7/24/08, Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the easiest way to start experimenting with Python offerings for
>> Web development on a Windows platform?
>>
>> What things will I need to get my self going for displaying a simple
>> webpage using Python based database access (say MySql)?
>>
>> Could somebody list the things (softwares) required? point me to a good
>> web development tutorial...
>>
>> Would like to start with simple CGI and then go on to Web 2.0 kind of
>> path...
>>

> From a practicing web-programmer -- the better way to start web programming
> today is web.py http://webpy.org
> Its close enough to CGI in the sense that you don't have to understand
> frameworks, MVC, MTV (as in Django), at the same
> time you don't have to  reinvent the wheel for db handling, templating,
> handling requests, sessions etc.
>
> Once you grok "web programming", look around. The choices are endless..
> After all we are pythonistas.
> we don't have religions masquerading as web frameworks.
>
> Saying Hello world in web.py is as simple as:
> -------------------
> import web
>
>  urls = (
>  )
>
>  class hello:
>      def GET(self):
>              print 'Hello world!'
>
>  if __name__ == "__main__": web.run(urls, globals())

regards,
Banibrata
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdutta
http://octapod.wordpress.com