[BangPypers] Python Web development collaterals...

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:30:20 CEST 2008

Obviously I'm speaking amongst experts and hard core Pythonistas, however
just sharing a point of view here ... with no intention of doing "webpy"
bashing or anything like that...

On 7/24/08, Pradeep Gowda <pradeep at btbytes.com> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
>
> Spent the last 30 mins looking at webpy. At the outset, looks pretty
>> good/attractive, however, I'm yet to see a very professional / complex
>> website developed using WebPy. WebOS might've been good, but looks like it's
>> shut down, and the next best is jottit.com ...
>>

> Hmm.. a professional/complex website is not a conclusive proof of a good*
> web framework.
> A professional website can be developed using a totally sucky framework
> too.

Agreed. However when you see quite a few complex and large professional
looking/feeling websites developed in a framework (or anti-framework!), you
get a level of confidence that it is probably easier & faster to do such
sites using the frameworks, than anything else.

Another measure of confidence in a framework is generally based on the
community participation, especially developer activity, user interest in
mail-volume terms on mailing-lists. Atleast compared to the likes of some
other larger (& apparently bloated) frameworks, the activity seems to be
limited to a smallish group of enthusiasts / professionals / developers.

The design principle behind  webpy is to give just enough abstractions to
> make life easier to the developer without making it  a new system in itself.

Indeed... I completely agree, and from a very very quick cursory look, that
virtue shines thru.

The "goodness" of web.py is very close to the "goodness" of python for web
> development.
> The whole of web.py is small enough to be shipped as another library with
> your application.
> Webpy doesn't do anything unusual from a average python programmer's
> perspective that it warrants separate proof of performance.

I do not contest that. However does it lend itself to rapid prototyping...
in the the sense of doing a complete functional Wiki in 15 minutes flat ? as
some of the popular / bloated frameworks seem to boast about ? While that is
probably not a good benchmark for comparing... but again, things like those,
do give some confidence that it is probably quite easy & fast to churn-out
somewhat similar kind of projects very fast.

Peace,
> +PG
>
> * definitions for a good web framework are as varied as the number of
> frameworks.

Couldn't agree more.

PS> I have to admit that I am playing a bit of "devil's advocate" here,
because I am deeply impressed by the little of Webpy I've seen (mostly on
the surface). My exposure to Django, Turbogears & RoR (the other bloated and
super-popular frameworks), is limited to trying out bunch of sample
tutorials only, and I would like this discussion to cut-thru all the hype,
and help see the true beauty that other already here seem to have seen.

cheers,
Banibrata